Pages

Sunday 13 December 2015

Lyon, AKA the Stomach of France ✈︎











Lyon, located in the Rhone-Alps Region and renowned for its food and majestic beauty. After Annecy, Lyon was the next stop on our trip and where I was to spend my 20th birthday. 
Unfortunately I was still a bit sick for the first two of the three days, so I found it a little difficult walking up the steep cobbled streets. 
Nevertheless we still wandered up to the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourviere and it was well worth the walk. On the outside the Basilica is simple white with elegant detailing and on the inside everything is beautifully rich in colour and design. 
I loved the cobbled streets and the quaint shops and restaurants that line them. Even though it is a big city the old town felt quiet and almost like it was stuck in another era. 
For my birthday dinner we went to a Traditional Lyonnaise restaurant and I swear I have never had a steak so good. I know it sounds boring, going to a French Restaurant and ordering a steak, but I can't say that I was brave enough to try the Cake of Liver, Escargot or the Frogs Legs. Haha, I'm actually such a pansy when it comes to weird food. 
We then got some amazing gelato, I can't remember what the place was called, but once I picked a cone size I then asked how many flavours I could have and the lady said as many as I liked!! What?? How is that not like the best thing ever. But then I make such a rookie error and only chose three flavours, but they were AMAZING! (maybe not quite as good as the gelato in Rome, but more on that later) 
Lyon  felt a lot safer than Paris, especially as there were less people. It's not as majestic as Paris, but it held its own kind of beauty. I feel like my photos don't do this city justice, so you'll just have to go and visit yourselves to see what I'm talking about! xx


No comments:

Post a Comment