Pages

Wednesday 9 December 2015

How To Not Netflix Your Way Through The Holidays | Blogmas Day Nine


Speaking as someone who is currently finishing their second gap year (don't worry I'm starting uni next year!), I'm used to having a lot of free time. 
Many of you will be starting holidays soon, or already have and are wondering what you'll do to fill your time. 

I urge you to not fill it with netflix. It's addictive and often prevents creativity and stops you from being a motivated person. I know I have wasted many a hour on netflix and I always like myself better when I'm not watching tv all day.

Let's put it this way, after binge watching a tv series I never feel accomplish. I normally feel slightly guilty and weirdly tired. So here are some suggestions on how to avoid sitting and watching TV all day. 


Set an alarm
I know it's tempting to make your bed your best friend, but try not to sleep in to eleven. If your not a morning person I suggest setting your alarm for 8:30 or 9am.

Read
Reading is great for when you're feeling lazy. It is much more engaging than tv and you'll feel much more accomplished when you finish a book than when you finish a series. 

Make Social Plans 
Get out of the house! Make plans with your friends to go for a walk, go shopping or grab a coffee, just anything that is social and requires you to leave the house. I'm sure some of your friends will be looking for an excuse to get out as well! 

Start a creative project
This could be art, blogging, writing, craft or baking. It doesn't have to be a big project, just something to keep you occupied during the day. 

Exercise
I have a gym membership and I do use it, but I also like to go for walks. Be creative with how you exercise, mix it up and have fun. Take a class or go for a hike with some mates. Do something you will be motivated to achieve.

Set specific TV times
I like to try and make it so I can't watch tv until at least five O'clock or after dinner, depending on the day. This means that I only watch tv when I'm genuinely tired and have already had a productive day. I'm not time wasting and it's not stopping me from doing other things. 

Learn a new skill
Is there something you've wanted to learn how to do for a while but have been to busy to do so? Well now's your chance, go and do it! You won't regret it, I promise! 

Travel
You don't even need much money to travel around. If you can afford it, go to another county that has captured your heart. If your on a budget, road trip somewhere, I promise you there is somewhere nearby you haven't been to before. There are so many places in Tasmania only a couple of hours away that look amazing and yet I've never been to them. Explore the world, you don't have to go far to do it!

I suppose, when it comes down to it, there is just so many cooler more memorable things to do with your free time. There is a time and place for it, just try not to make it your whole day and you'll be happier for it.
The key is just to keep busy and enjoy yourself, use this time wisely and make memories.
 Tell me in the comments what you like to do to keep busy during the holidays. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment